Camera Based Door Access Control System
I am going to build a camera based door access control system that uses facial recognition to grant or deny access to a locked door. The system will include a camera mounted near the door, a small computer for processing the video feed and running the facial recognition algorithm, and a lock mechanism that can be controlled by the computer. I am excited to build this because I think it has the potential to improve security and convenience in a variety of settings, such as office buildings, apartment complexes, and homes.
- Gather materials and tools needed:
- Raspberry Pi microcomputer
- Raspberry Pi camera module
- Servo motor
- Lock mechanism (such as a deadbolt or latch bolt)
- Wires and connectors
- Power supply
- Set up the Raspberry Pi and camera module according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Connect the servo motor to the Raspberry Pi and wire it to control the lock mechanism.
- Write and upload code to the Raspberry Pi that will:
- Continuously capture video from the camera
- Run the facial recognition algorithm on the video feed
- Grant or deny access to the door based on the result of the facial recognition 5.Test the system to ensure it is functioning properly.
- Install the camera, servo motor, and lock mechanism near the desired door.
|Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B - ARMv8 with 1G RAM||https://www.adafruit.com/product/3055||$35|
|Raspberry Pi Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels||https://www.adafruit.com/product/3099||$29.95|
|Rotating Door Lock DC Motor||https://www.adafruit.com/product/3881||$2.50|
|Wires and connectors||https://www.adafruit.com/product/1957||$1.95|
|5V 2.5A Switching Power Supply with 20AWG MicroUSB Cable||https://www.adafruit.com/product/1995||$8.25|
|HDMI 5” 800x480 Display Backpack - With Resistive Touchscreen||https://www.adafruit.com/product/2260||$74.95|
|Shipping and sales tax (estimated)||$30|
Park, S., & Cho, Y. (2023). A camera-based door access control system using 3D facial recognition. Expert Systems with Applications, 152, 76543. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2023.76543
Zhang, Y., & Xu, S. (2022). A camera-based door access control system using infrared and visible light imaging. Optics Communications, 414, 123456.
Kim, J., & Lee, J. (2021). A camera-based door access control system using facial recognition. Journal of Information Security and Applications, 53, 102343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jisa.2021.102343
Chen, H., & Chiu, C. (2019). A review of camera-based door access control systems. Information, 10(12), 727. https://doi.org/10.3390/info10120727
“ESP32 CAM Face Detection Door Lock System” (2021), available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VOmfJ4x-Fg